HP released a corrective firmware on March 27th that allows compatible HP 952XL cartridges to work in their printers again. This new update fixes the firmware update that HP released on March 17th that blocked some compatible cartridges.
If you have a current set of ink in your printer and could not print due to HP’s March 17th firmware update, your cartridges will work again after you download the corrective update.
You can download the corrective update on your printer’s HP support page:
1. On the support page for your printer, you will see a section called "Firmware". Open this tab to download the latest firmware update file (March 27, 2020), and then follow the onscreen instructions.
2. Save the file to your computer. Open it to begin installation and it will detect your printer.
3. The HP Printer Update window will open and your printer serial number should be visible on the display.
4. Select the checkbox next to the serial number and then click “Update”
If your printer is using a network connection, you may need to connect a USB cable to the printer and computer to get your serial number to display. Once you have connected the cable, wait for about 20 seconds and click “Refresh”. This should trigger the serial number to appear in the window and you can then select the checkbox and click “Update”.
5. Select “OK” after the update is complete. Now you can start printing with your compatible printer cartridges again!
6. Please remember to turn off the automatic firmware updates* on your printer after this new update is installed. Turning off these updates will help you stay a step ahead of HP so you can keep saving with your favorite compatible cartridges. Click on our guide below to learn how!
If you have any questions about firmware updates, please contact us! Our friendly customer service team is available 6 days a week and we are happy to help!
Our call center hours are Monday-Friday, 6:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. PST and Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. PST.
*Turning off updates may affect other functionality. Please see your printer support page for more details.