Downgrading or reverting the firmware may allow your HP printer to work with the previous version of your firmware before the firmware update occurred*. After you revert the printer to the previous version, you can continue to print with your compatible HP cartridges.
The following instructions work for the HP OfficeJet Pro 7720, HP OfficeJet Pro 7730, HP OfficeJet Pro 7740, HP OfficeJet Pro 8210, HP OfficeJet Pro 8216, HP OfficeJet Pro 8218, HP OfficeJet Pro 8710, HP OfficeJet Pro 8715, HP OfficeJet Pro 8718, HP OfficeJet Pro 8730, HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 and HP OfficeJet Pro 8745
Downloading this software will downgrade your printer firmware to the previous version listed below:
If you have a different HP printer, you will need to find a different installer for your printer series in order to revert the firmware.
1. Download and run the installer for the previous version of the firmware update. Please make sure you select the correct version of the installer for your specific printer series.
Find the downgrade software for your specific HP printer here.
Before downgrading your firmware, make sure that you have the automatic firmware updates turned off. Turning off these updates will also protect your cartridges from potentially being affected by future firmware updates.
We show you how to turn off firmware updates here
3. Make sure your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, then open the firmware downgrade software. In this example, we will show you the steps with an HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 printer.
4. After the software is detected, an update notification will appear on your screen that lists the current version of your printer firmware
5. Select the printer that you would like to downgrade and click “Update”
6. These notifications will appear on your computer as the printer goes through the downgrade process.
7. When the downgrade is complete, select “OK”
8. The previous firmware version will appear on your computer and read “Update Successful”. Select “Exit” to end the set up. You can now continue printing with your cartridges!
*Reverting your printer firmware may affect other functionality. Please see your printer support page for more details.