Downgrading or reverting the firmware may allow your HP printer to work with the previous version of your firmware before the firmware update occurred*. After you revert the printer to the previous version, you can continue to print with your compatible HP cartridges.
The following instructions work for the HP OfficeJet Pro 6950, HP OfficeJet Pro 6954, HP OfficeJet Pro 6960, HP OfficeJet Pro 6962, HP OfficeJet Pro 6968, HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 and HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printers.
This downgrade will revert your firmware to version 1847A.
If you have a different HP printer, you will need to find a different installer for your printer series in order to revert the firmware.
1. Download and run the installer for the previous version of the firmware update. Please make sure you select the correct version of the installer for your specific printer series.
Download the downgrade software for your specific HP printer here
2. Before downgrading your firmware, make sure that you have the automatic firmware updates turned off. Turning off these updates will also protect your cartridges from potentially being affected by future firmware updates.
We show you how to turn off firmware updates here
3. Make sure your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, then open the firmware downgrade software. In this example, we will show you the steps with an HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 printer.
4. After the software is detected, an update notification will appear on your screen that lists the current version of your printer firmware
5. Select the printer that you would like to downgrade and click “Update”
6. These notifications will appear on your computer as the printer goes through the downgrade process.
7. When the downgrade is complete, select “OK”
8. The previous firmware version will appear on your computer and read “Update Successful”. Select “Exit” to end the set up. You can now continue printing with your cartridges!
*Reverting your printer firmware may affect other functionality. Please see your printer support page for more details.