Please note: These instructions are for a drum unit that is built into the toner cartridge. If your printer uses a separate toner cartridge and drum and you are having recognition issues, please go to this article.
Cleaning the gold contact chip
If your drum is not recognizing in the printer, there may be an issue with the gold chip on the end of the toner cartridge.
This chip communicates with the printer to create a print and if it is not reading properly, the toner / drum unit will not work. Sometimes fingerprint oil or dust can cause this error. A hard reset usually gets the drum recognizing and working right away. Please follow these troubleshooting steps to resolve the recognition issue:
- Remove the cartridge drum and turn the printer off. Then unplug the machine from the wall.
- Let it sit empty and unplugged for about a minute
- Take a soft, lint-free cloth and gently wipe the gold colored connection area on the cartridge drum to ensure a clean connection
- Plug the machine back in and turn it on
- Reinstall the cartridge and try printing a test page
This should resolve the recognition issue right away and get the toner / drum working correctly. If you still have trouble please contact our customer service team so we can further assist you.
Give us a call at 888-321-2552, or chat with us through Live Chat!
Customer service hours are 6am-6pm, PST, Monday-Friday and 7am-4pm, PST, Saturday.