If you’re not familiar with your printer, you may have a hard time figuring out which cartridges are right for your machine. A lot of cartridges look identical, cartridge part numbers can be confusing and even similar printer models can appear to take the same cartridges when in fact they don't! To top it off, certain printer manufacturers are better about telling you what cartridges their printers use than others. To help you make sure you’re buying the correct cartridge, we’ve made a list of a few of our favorite cartridge confirming tips.
1. Check for the cartridge part number on the front of the machine. Some printers have a sticker on the front that tells you what the cartridges are. This Brother printer, for example, works with the TN-223 standard yield cartridges and the TN-227 high yield cartridges. Both of these cartridge series are the same size and fit in the printer the exact same way. The only difference is, the high yield includes more toner powder inside the cartridge, which gives you more prints per cartridge!
2. Check for the printer cartridge part number inside the printer. Some printers, like the HP Officejet Pro 9015 below, include the part number in the cartridge access area of the printer. The access area is usually found underneath the scanner of the printer.
3. The easiest way to confirm that you have the correct cartridges is to simply check inside the printer! If you have an existing set of cartridges already installed, open up the cartridge access area to confirm the cartridge part number. You may need to wait for the cartridge carriage to center before you can see what the cartridge part number is.
4. Some printers also let you look up the cartridge part number on the printer's display screen. The Canon printer below included the cartridge information under the "settings" section of the display menu.
5. If you can't find any cartridge information on your printer, you can always check your printer user guide. Every user guide includes information about which cartridges will work with your printer. Most often, you will find it in the cartridge installation section of the user guide. If you don’t have a physical copy of your user guide, you can find a free digital PDF version on the printer support page of the printer manufacturer’s website.
6. Another great place to check is the printer product page of your printer manufacturer's website, or the the printer product page on LD Products.com! Just search for your printer and you'll find a complete list of compatible cartridges.
7. Still not sure what cartridge to buy? Contact our knowledgeable customer service team! We'd be happy to confirm that you are buying the right cartridge.
Our customer service team is available 6 days a week and we are happy to assist you with any questions or concerns. Just give us a call at 888-321-2552 or email us here. You can also chat with us directly through our live chat feature!
Our hours are Mon-Fri., 6:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. PST and Saturday, 7:00 a.m-4:00 p.m. PST.