If you have a connectivity or a troubleshooting issue that you can’t seem to resolve, restoring your printer back to its factory default settings may just get you up and running again. Restoring to default is also a great way to prevent personal information like passwords and security settings from being accessed by a third party if you are sending your printer in for repair, or plan to give it away or recycle it.
For troubleshooting and printer error problems, we recommend trying a hard reset first. A hard reset also resets your printer but it doesn’t restore it to factory default settings. This is a better first option if you’ve already customized your printer settings or set up your wireless connection, that way you won’t have to start back at square one.
How to do a hard reset on your printer
- With the cartridges still installed, power down the printer and then unplug the power cord from the wall.
- Wait for a minute, then plug the printer back in and power it back up. Wait for the cartridges to center and then try printing again.
Restoring the factory-set defaults returns most of the settings to the factory defaults. With HP printers, it won’t reset the page count, tray size, or language. Consult your printer’s user guide for specific reset instructions for your machine. If you don’t have your printer user guide handy, you can usually find a digital PDF version on your printer manufacturer’s website. We cover the instructions for a few popular printer models here.
How to reset factory default settings for HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 / OfficeJet Pro 8720 / OfficeJet Pro 8025 / OfficeJet 8035 / HP OfficeJet 9015 / HP OfficeJet 9025 Printers
- Touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the dashboard on the printer control panel
- Select “Setup” and then select “Printer Maintenance”
- Select “Restore” and then select “Restore Factory Defaults”
- A message appears stating that the factory defaults will be restored.
- Select “Restore” to finish the reset process.
How to reset factory default settings for Canon PIXMA printers
1. Select the set up gear button on the home screen of your printer’s display
2. Then select “settings” > “device settings” > “reset settings” > ”reset all” > “OK” and then “Yes"
3. After resetting, you may need to perform the setup process again. If you need to download the setup software again, search for your printer on Canon’s website. You can find a download link on the “drivers and downloads” section of the printer support page.
How to reset factory default settings for Brother HL-L2350DW / HL-L2370DW / HL-L2370DW XL printers
1. Press the up or down arrows to navigate to “Initial Setup” and then press “OK”
2. Use the up and down arrows again to select “Reset” and then press “OK”
3. Press the up or down arrows to choose the type of reset you would like to perform and press “OK”
4. Press the down button and the press the down button again for “Yes”
5. The printer will restart
How to reset factory default settings for Epson Workforce Pro printers
1. From the printer display screen, navigate to the "settings" button
2. In the settings menu, scroll down to "Reset default settings"
3. Select which function that you want to reset. If you want to reset everything, select "Clear All Data and Settings"