A Brother toner cartridge and drum unit work together to create a print. The drum unit typically needs to be replaced after the use of 3-4 toner cartridges. If you are getting streaky or light prints, or a “replace drum” message appears on your printer’s display, it may be time to get a new drum. After you replace the drum, you will need to reset the drum counter to continue printing. Your printer uses a page counter to track usage and that count has to be manually reset every time you replace the drum. Here, we show you how to replace an LD brand compatible Brother DR-730 drum unit. To learn how to reset the drum counter, click here.
What printers work with the DR-730 drum unit?
DCP-L2550DW, HL-L2350DW, HL-L2370DW, HL-L2370DW XL, HL-L2390DW, HL-L2395DW, MFC-L2710DW, MFC-L2750DW, MFC-L2750DW XL
The instructions below work for the Brother HL-L2350DW and HL-L2370 DW printers. If you own one of the other printers mentioned above, please consult your printer manual for replacement instructions.
Brother DR-730 Drum Replacement Instructions
Checking the drum life
- To check the drum life manually, press the plus and minus buttons on your printer’s display
- Scroll down to “Machine info” and then press “OK”
- Scroll to “Parts Life” and press “OK”
- Scroll to “Drum Life” and press “OK”
- If the remaining drum life reads “0%” you will need to replace your drum unit
Replacing the drum
- Remove your new LD compatible DR-730 drum unit from the packaging
- Take out the old drum unit from the printer. The toner cartridge and drum unit will come out together as one attached unit. You will need to remove the toner cartridge from the drum to replace it.
- Click down on the green lever on the lower left side of the drum unit to separate the two consumables. This will release the toner cartridge from the drum.
- If you are using that same toner cartridge, you can set that aside. Please note, you do not need to replace the toner cartridge and drum unit at the same time. If your toner cartridge is still good, it can be used with your new drum unit.
- Take your new drum unit and insert the toner cartridge into the drum. You should hear a click and the cartridge should be secure. Before installing it back in the printer, slide the green tab (corona wire) back and forth a few times to prep the unit for the printer. Make sure the tab is back in the home position on the left hand side when you install the unit back into the printer.
- Install the unit all together back into the printer, close up the front cover.
- You're almost ready to start printing! Before you print, you will need to reset the drum counter. Learn how here.