Updating your Epson printer firmware version may prompt a cartridge problem message on your printer’s display, preventing you from using compatible cartridges. Customers that want to continue using compatible cartridges may choose to avoid updating their firmware*.
Disabling Epson Firmware Updates
There are two very similar but slightly different ways to turn off automatic firmware updates.
In the video below, we show you how to disable automatic firmware updates on your Epson printer so you can print without interruption. Although we use the WorkForce WF-2860 in the video, these instructions will work for most Epson printers. You can also scroll past the video if you prefer to read the step-by-step instructions.
If you are using Windows, you can disable automatic updates by opening up the Epson Software Updater on your desktop.
1. Search for "Epson Software Updater" on the Windows search bar and open up the program
2. Select your printer model from the drop down menu and then select "Auto Update Settings"
3. Select "Never" under the "Interval to Check" menu. To save your settings and exit, select "OK".
Here are the alternative set of instructions on how to disable automatic firmware updates on an Epson printer:
1. On your Windows Taskbar, right click on the Epson printer icon.
2. Right click on the printer icon and select "Software Update Settings" from the list.
3. Select the "Never" option and then click OK.
In some cases, you can undo an update by reverting the firmware. Reverting the firmware may allow your printer to work with the previous version of your printer firmware before the update occurred. Learn how here.
If you have any questions about firmware updates, please contact us! Our friendly customer service team is available 6 days a week and we are happy to help!
Our call center hours are Monday-Friday, 6:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. PST and Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. PST.
*Turning off updates may affect other functionality. Please see your printer support page for more details.