If your HP 902 ink cartridge is not printing as expected, there are some simple troubleshooting steps you can take that may resolve the print quality issue.
First, we recommend printing out a diagnostics report to determine which cartridges are producing the poor print quality. You can print this report directly from the printer display by following these steps:
1. Make sure there is paper loaded in the printer
2. Select or swipe down on the tab at the top of the screen to open the
dashboard on the display, then select the setup icon that looks like a gear.
3. Select "Reports" and then select "Print Quality Report"
Sample of a good print quality diagnostics report
Sample print quality diagnostics report with the black cartridge streaking
Sample print quality diagnostics report with the magenta color missing
Once you've determined which cartridge is causing the print quality issue, you can run a printhead cleaning on your printer to try and correct the print quality
How to Run a Printhead Cleaning
1. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the dashboard, then select the set up icon
2. Swipe up on the display and then select “Printer Maintenance”
3. Select “Clean Printhead” and then select “Continue”
If the print quality does not improve on the test page, try running the cleaning a second time or third time, if necessary. If it does not improve after the third cleaning you may need to replace the cartridge.
If these troubleshooting steps did not work, please contact our customer service team for further assistance.
There are three easy ways to reach customer service:
Our call center hours are Monday-Friday, 6:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. PST and Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. PST.