The Brother drum unit is a separate consumable that typically should be replaced after the use of 3 or 4 toner cartridges. If you own a Brother laser printer and you are getting a "Replace Drum" message on your machine's display, it might be time to get a new drum. Your printer uses a page counter to track usage, which must manually be reset every time a new drum unit is installed. Replacement instructions vary depending on what printer model you have. Check your printer's user guide for specific replacement instructions for your machine. These can be accessed on Brother’s website. Here, we provide replacement and reset instructions for the Brother HL-L2380DW. This printer works with Brother TN-630 and TN-660 toner cartridges and the DR-630 drum unit.
First, you will need to remove the old drum and replace it with the new one.
How to replace the drum unit:
- Turn on the printer.
- Open the front cover and let the printer sit for ten minutes so it can cool down.
- Remove the drum unit and toner cartridge from the printer.
- Separate the toner cartridge from the drum unit by pressing down on the green lever.
- Open up your new drum unit.
- Slide the toner cartridge into the drum unit so it locks into place. You should hear a click!
- Clean the corona wire by sliding the green tab on the drum unit back and forth a couple of times. This preps the drum unit before use.
- Install the toner cartridge and drum unit together as one piece back into the printer.
Once the new drum is replaced, you will need to reset the drum counter.
How to reset the drum counter:
1. Make sure the front cover is closed.
2. Press the "X" on the printer to display to interrupt the "replace drum" message.
3. Press the tool button (settings) > All Settings > Machine Info. > Parts Life.
4. Hold down the # button until the LCD message changes.
5. Press "Drum" and then select "Yes"
6. Select the home button