The Brother drum unit is a separate consumable that typically should be replaced after the use of 3 or 4 toner cartridges. If you own a Brother laser printer and you are getting a "Replace Drum" message on your machine's display, it might be time to get a new drum. Replacement instructions vary depending on what printer model you have. Check your printer's user guide for specific replacement instructions for your machine. These can be accessed on Brother’s website. Here, we provide replacement and reset instructions for the Brother HL-2270DW. This printer works with Brother TN-420 and TN-450 toner cartridges and the DR-420 drum unit.
First, you will need to remove the old drum and replace it with the new one. The drum unit for this printer needs to be replaced when the drum and error LED lights are flashing.
How to replace the drum unit:
- Turn on the printer
- Wait for the machine to cool down for at least ten minutes
- Open the front cover of the printer
- Remove the drum unit and toner cartridge from the printer
- Separate the toner cartridge from the drum unit by pressing down on the green lever.
- Open up your new drum unit.
- Slide the toner cartridge into the drum unit so it locks into place.
- Hold down the “Go” button for a few seconds until the LEDs light up. When all four LEDs are lit, release the “Go” button.
- Close the front cover and your printer is ready to go!