Proper toner cartridge care is essential if you are looking to get the most out of your printer cartridges. Here are a few simple tips that will ensure you get the full life out of your toner:
- Keep cartridges at room temperature, preferably in a dark space like a desk drawer or supply cabinet.
- Do not remove the toner from its sealed packaging until you are ready for installation. Although the cartridge will not go bad if it is out of the box, it can be exposed to dust and other particles that could affect print quality.
- Store your toner cartridges horizontally. Vertically stored toner cartridges will cause the toner powder to shift on the inside of the cartridge and can easily stick to the walls of the cartridge.
- Many cartridges have a small gold contact chip on the back side of the toner. This chip is how the cartridge communicates with your printer and is very sensitive. Try to avoid touching this chip with your fingers, as it could cause a faulty connection with your printer. If you do accidentally touch the chip, you can gently wipe it with a lint-free cloth.
- Gently shake the cartridge back and forth a few times over a trashcan before installing it into your printer. Occasionally some toner powder may escape from the cartridge during this process, so shaking over a trashcan is key. This will redistribute the toner powder that may have been stuck on the cartridge wall.