The drum unit for your Brother color laser printer includes four cartridge slots for all four toners, so you only need to replace one drum unit for all four cartridges. If you own any of the Brother laser printers listed below and you are getting a "Replace Drum" message on your machine's display, it might be time to get a new drum. Your printer uses a page counter to track usage, which must manually be reset every time a new drum unit is installed. Instructions for both steps are included below!
Compatible Brother laser printers:
Brother HL‑L8260CDW / HL‑L8360CDW / HL‑L8360CDWT
Replacing the DR-431CL Drum Unit
- Press the release button on the front cover to open the front of the printer.
- Hold the green handle of the drum unit and gently pull the unit out.
- Turn the green lock lever (1) counterclockwise until it locks in the release position. Holding the green handles of the drum unit, lift the front of the drum unit and remove it from the machine.
- Once it is unlocked, pull the toner up and out to remove it from the drum unit.
- Slide the green tab from left to right a few times to clean the corona wire.
- Unbox the new drum unit and remove the orange protective cover.
- Install the toner cartridge into the drum unit and pull it towards you until it clicks into place.
- Using the green handle, slide the drum unit back into the printer so it locks in place.
- Close up the front cover.
Resetting the DR-431CL Drum Counter
- Turn on the printer.
- Press the up or down arrows to select the following:
- Then, select [Machine Info.] and press OK.
- Select [Parts Life] and press OK.
- Select [Drum] and press OK.
- Then, press and hold “OK”for five seconds.
- Press the up arrowto select [Reset].
Once both steps are completed, you can start printing again!
Looking to replace a TN-431 or TN-433 toner cartridge? Check out our quick guide here.