Smart chip technology is referring to the small, gold smart chip on a printer cartridge that communicates with your printer. You can find this type of chip on most cartridges and each one is unique to a specific printer series. Smart chips accurately record the ink levels of each cartridge so you know when your cartridge is running low. If you are getting an error message on your printer, it might be due to dust or fingerprint oil getting on the chip. Try wiping the chip gently with a lint-free cloth and installing the cartridge again.
Articles in this section
- Do I need to remove any tape from a new cartridge?
- Why is my new ink cartridge not printing?
- What's the difference between black ink and photo black ink?
- Is it normal for my cartridge to read low or empty?
- Why does the cartridge I received look bigger/smaller/different than the OEM?
- Why is my cartridge printing blank pages?
- Why is my cartridge not clicking into the cartridge slot?
- Printhead Cleaning Tips for an Inkjet Printer
- How can I unclog a printhead?
- How do I reset the page counter on a Brother printer?