The HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 includes set-up HP 902 cartridges, which come in four different colors: black, cyan, magenta and yellow. The cartridges are offered in two sizes, a standard yield and high yield (or XL). Frequent printers will be better off with the XL cartridges since they hold considerably more ink. A standard black HP 902 cartridge prints up to 300 pages while a high yield black HP 902XL prints up to 825 pages. Each standard color HP 902 cartridge prints up to 315 pages while each high yield color HP 902XL prints up to 825 pages.
To watch our watch the video on the installation process, click below. Or, read on for step by step instructions.
How to Replace Ink Cartridges in the OfficeJet® Pro 6978 Printer
How to Check Ink Levels on the OfficeJet 6978
If your prints are not up to par, first check the ink levels on your printer’s display.
1. Press the gear symbol in the corner of the LCD screen.
2. Scroll down to "cartridge information" and you'll see an estimation of the cartridge ink levels.
If one of the levels is low, like the magenta in our video, it’s time to get a new cartridge!
Installing or Replacing a Cartridge
1. Lift up the scanner unit and wait for the cartridge carriage to reach the center of the machine.
2. Remove the old cartridge by gently pushing on it. It should pop up and easily remove from the slot.
3. Remove the plastic wrap the cartridge came in.
Pro Tip: Prep your new cartridges over a trashcan because a bit of ink might escape from the cartridge.
4. With the cartridge over the trashcan, remove the orange clip on the bottom of the cartridge with a simple twisting motion. This clip protects the cartridge while it’s in transit and the cartridge will not fit into the printer if you leave this on.
5. Remove is the yellow tape on the top of the cartridge. Hold the cartridge in one hand and gently pull up on the tape with the other. This will expose the vent hole on the cartridge so it can work in your machine.
Pro Tip: Try not to touch the gold contact chip when handling the new cartridge. This chip is very sensitive and touching it might cause an error message on your machine.
6. Install the new magenta cartridge by sliding it into the appropriate slot in the printer. The tab goes in the back.
7. Press straight down on the cartridge and it will click into place.
8. Close the scanner unit.
9. The printer will display a "Genuine Cartridge Installed" message if you used an OEM HP 902 cartridge.
LD Products will be offering compatible brand HP 902 cartridges soon. Each cartridge provides a comparable page yield to the original HP and and is equipped with a new smart-chip for tracking ink levels. Click here to be notified when our LD brand cartridges are ready to ship!