The Brother drum unit is a separate consumable that typically should be replaced after the use of 3 or 4 toner cartridges. If you own a Brother laser printer and you are getting a "Replace Drum" message on your machine's display, it might be time to get a new drum. Your printer uses a page counter to track usage, which must manually be reset every time a new drum unit is installed.
The following are drum replacement instructions for the Brother MFC-8870DW, which uses the TN580 toner cartridge and the DR520 drum unit. Please note, these instructions are specific to this printer model.
First, you will need to remove the old drum and replace it with the new one:
- Make sure that the printer is on and press open the front cover.
- Remove the toner cartridge and drum unit from the machine.
- Hold down the lock lever and remove the toner cartridge from the drum unit.
- Unpack the new drum unit.
- Click the toner cartridge into the new drum unit until you hear it lock into place.
- Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right and right to left a couple of times.
- Install the toner cartridge and drum back into the printer.
Once the new drum is replaced, you will need to reset the drum counter:
- Leaving the front cover open press the Clear/Back button on the printer
- A question will pop up on your printer’s display asking:
3. Select 1 to confirm you are installing a new drum
4. When the display says “Accepted” close the cover