The Brother drum unit is a separate consumable that typically should be replaced after the use of 3 or 4 toner cartridges. If you own a Brother laser printer and you are getting a Replace Drum message on your machine's display, it might be time to get a new drum. Your printer uses a page counter to track usage, which must manually be reset every time a new drum unit is installed. Replacement instructions vary depending on what printer model you have. Check your printer's user guide for specific replacement instructions for your machine. These can be accessed on Brother’s website.
We will review the drum replacement instructions for the Brother MFC-L2700DW, which uses the TN660 toner cartridge and the DR630 drum unit. Please note, these instructions are specific to this printer model.
First, you will need to remove the old drum and replace it with the new one:
- Make sure that the printer is on and open the front cover.
- Remove the toner cartridge and drum unit from the machine.
- Push down the green lock lever and remove the toner cartridge from the drum unit.
- Unpack the new drum unit.
- Click the toner cartridge into the new drum unit until you hear it lock into place.
- Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right and right to left a couple of times.
- Install the toner cartridge and drum back into the printer.
Once the new drum is replaced, you will need to reset the drum counter:
- Open the front cover.
- Press and hold OK for 2 seconds.
- Press the Up arrow key or 1 to reset the drum counter.
You can find replacement instructions for other popular Brother printers here:
- Brother HL-L6250DW
- Brother MFC 8890DW
- Brother MFC-8870DW
- Brother HL-L2380DW
- Brother MFC-7360N
- Brother HL-2270DW
- Brother MFC-L2740DW
- Brother DCP-7065DN
- Brother MFC-L2710DW
- Brother MFC-L2750DW
- Brother HL-L2350DW
- Brother HL-L2370DW
- Brother HL-L2390DW
- Brother HL-L2395DW
- Brother DCP-L2550DW