If your HP 85A toner cartridge is not recognizing in your machine, the printer might be having trouble reading the gold contact chip. This smart chip is located on the front of this toner cartridge, and if residue or fingerprint oil gets on the chip, it may not read in the printer. To clean chip, gently wipe it with a lint-free cloth or Q-tip. You may also have to reset the printer in order for the machine to recognize the cartridge. To do this, remove the cartridge, power the printer down, and disconnect the power cord for 10-15 seconds. Re-connect the power cord, power the printer on, and then re-install the cartridge.
Articles in this section
- How do I replace the drum in my Brother® HL-L2380DW printer?
- How do I replace the drum in my Brother® MFC-7360N printer?
- How do I replace the drum in my Brother® HL-2270DW printer?
- How do I replace the drum in my Brother® MFC-L2740DW printer?
- How do I replace the drum in my Brother® DCP-7065DN printer?
- Do I need to remove any tape from a new cartridge?
- Why is my new ink cartridge not printing?
- What's the difference between black ink and photo black ink?
- Is it normal for my cartridge to read low or empty?
- Why does the cartridge I received look bigger/smaller/different than the OEM?