If you are having print quality issues, it could either be a problem with one of the toner cartridges, or the drum unit. We recommend troubleshooting the toner cartridges first since they are usually the first to go. Drum units generally do not have to replaced until after you’ve used 3-4 toner cartridges.
In our example we will be offering troubleshooting tips for the Brother HL-L8350CDW printer, but most Brother printers follow the same general troubleshooting rules. Consult your printer’s user guide for specific troubleshooting instructions for your machine.
- Remove the toner and gently shake it back and forth over a trashcan to redistribute the toner powder and then put it back into the machine.
- Gently wipe the scanner windows with a lint-free cloth.
- Run a test print to see if quality improves.
If you are still getting poor print results after troubleshooting the toner, you can also troubleshoot the drum unit, which is a separate consumable.
- Gently slide the blue corona wire tab back and forth from left to right 8-10 times.
- Check the surface of the drum for any dust or debris. Wipe the exposed part of the drum with a lint-free cloth. Do not touch the drum with your fingers, it is very sensitive.